Monday, November 18, 2013

A Belated Halloween Post

As I type this I am sitting about two feet from my Christmas tree. Yes, I know, its November 18th. I am crazy. And I'm about to write about Halloween, by the lights on my tree. I win some kind of overlapping holiday/procrastination award. I will accept my trophy later. Like New Year's Eve.

I don't know that I really get that into Halloween. I put up decorations, and dress up my children as various princesses or reptiles. And of course I eat the candy. But I'm just not that into it. That being said...this year I actually wore a costume. For awhile anyway. Ava had a preschool party and I went, and I thought it would be funny if I wore an old costume that I had. So prepare yourself, because this is the only place I will EVER post a picture of this. Behold:
Now, I feel like the real problem with this costume is that I run the risk of looking too sexy. So I didn't wear it trick or treating. Children were staring at me. I wanted to change.

Ava, who went as Princess Jasmine, put on her costume in the morning and took pictures with her favorite other princess cousin, Rapunzel. They both looked so cute with hot pink lipgloss and a couple of coats of my mascara. I will openly admit that I am jealous of children's eyelashes. I covet them. Life is unfair.





Ava had a small party at school, but because of the lens on my camera I couldn't quite fit everyone in the frame for the picture. But you get the point. Preschoolers in princess and super hero costumes, we've seen it all before.



Alana skirted her school's "no costume" policy by wearing a jack o'lantern shirt and pumpkin stem headband. Technically, it wasn't a costume. She still looked festive though. And I think the pumpkin on her shirt might have more teeth than her.

When it came time for actual costume wearing, she went in the same direction she always goes. She was a princess. Ariel, to be exact. Toothless Ariel. And she looked too old and grown up, stupid makeup.



Witten was my little dinosaur this year. But he didn't really care. He wore the costume, but it didn't really matter to him. And he wasn't really a fan of trick-or-treating. He was too tired, he had only taken one short nap, so getting in and out of the car wasn't his favorite thing. He made it to about 3 houses, all of which were people we're related to, and then he was done. We didn't want to carry a crying and sad dinosaur with us everywhere, so we took him to David's parents house where he was happy to eat crackers and watch cartoons. That may have been the highlight of his Halloween.




Getting a picture with all 3 of my kids was the most challenging part of my day. Witten didn't want to hold still, and then when he would look at me for a second the girls weren't looking because they were messing with him. I don't even care some days, as long as they're all in the picture. I keep it real. Life with kids isn't all smiles and perfectly combed hair and babies that hold still.











And then after all the trick or treating, we came home to enjoy our candy. Which we still have a big bag of. I ate all of the good stuff though. Happy belated Halloween.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love your family picture you lot look adorable.

The Crump Family said...

I love how your girls like to pose for pictures!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails