Thursday, August 4, 2011

Updated Marriage Vows

Today is my five year wedding anniversary. I'd like to thank Facebook for reminding me. Seriously, we probably would've forgotten otherwise, cause we're awesome like that.

We don't really keep that close of track of it, because we were together for so long before we bothered to get married. Then when we did bother to get married, we just went to Vegas with a handful of people, when I was about 8 months pregnant with Alana. Classy, I know.

We never really get gifts or celebrate, especially since Ava'a birthday is so close to our anniversary, so we save all our extra money in August for her and her almost two-ness. Besides, the traditional gift for the five year anniversary is wood, and someone in this marriage is trying to interpret that in a way that benefits them.

After five years of marriage, and nine together, we've established a pretty solid repertoire. I still do things that annoy him, and he definitely does things that annoy me. But we make it work, cause for some strange reason we love each other. Ok, that's my mushiness overload keyword right there. Unless I'm talking about cookies or kids, I don't typically say love. So now I'm changing the subject.

After all this time, I think our marriage vows could use some revamping. A few new promises, cause the other ones are getting old. I'm talking about you Honor and Obey.

I will promise to cook some type of breakfast meat: bacon, sausage, ham, etc, at least three times a week, if David will promise not to keep reminding me of the one gross thing that I cooked in 2003, which he fondly calls Manure Meat. I think I've redeemed myself, so lets just let it go already.

I will promise to not win too often in Skipbo, if he promises not to push my players so much in NBA Jam, and to not cheat in Jeopardy.

I'll pretend to be interested in the incessant football chatter, if he pretends to care about what grade I got on my most recent essay. It was an A, in case you were wondering. But only a 98%, where's the other two points lady?

I will sit through stupid action movies like Transformers 3, if David promises that I never have to watch them ever again. I don't care what movie is on HBO, if I didn't like it the first time I'm not gonna like it this time.

Marriage is ultimately about compromise. You do things you don't wanna do, because they make your spouse happy. I can think of several right off the bat. But all of the fun that you have together will be worth it, as long as you make sure to marry someone who makes you laugh. Whether its with them or at them, it doesn't matter.

4 comments:

Nikki Darlin' said...

Congrats! Happy Anniversary! ooo Vegas wish we wuld have went that way. We did it court house style a week after I gave birth to our daughter.

Mary Nevin said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I really like this entry because it shows that your love is authentic, i think true love is seeing the beauty in the every day. this was so affirming and lovely to hear :) Hope you guys celebrate!!

Brian and Janette said...

Totally agree! Marrying someone you can laugh with is essential. And compromise? That's not a word you hear a lot when talking to most people about marriage these days. I thought you got married so you could boss someone around, always get your way, and make certain that YOU were always happy. Them and their happiness? Fu-getta bout it! :)

Jennifer said...

I do boss him around, he just doesn't listen!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails