Friday, April 29, 2011

Make These for Breakfast Tomorrow. Thank Me Later.

I have artfully tuned and worked at my recipe for buttermilk biscuits for a couple of months now. Tweaked it. Gone through several boxes of delicious salted sweet cream butter. Made them several times. Devoured them willingly each time.

Now I believed I've reached biscuit perfection. Biscuit euphoria. My mission in life is complete. Culinary wise anyway.

We happily ate biscuits and gravy for dinner last night. It was yummy. I paced around the kitchen waiting for David to get home because I was hungry and the food was ready. I hate waiting! These biscuits were calling me.

In order to share my happiness with the world, I must also share my recipe. With great power comes great responsibility. Buttermilk biscuits must not be kept to myself.

My pastry cutter and I have become friends while making these biscuits. We used to occasionally quarrel over pie crust, but now we have reconciled to make biscuits.
I like to cube my butter, just to make less work for the pastry cutter.

This is what your dough should look like right before baking. Flaky, with chunks of buttter.
Recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) real butter, salted
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in cubed butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Do not overmix it, you want flaky biscuits. Mix in buttermilk and egg, just until moist. Again, if you overmix it, your biscuits will be less flaky and tougher. Less is more with the mixing people. At this point you could drop the dough onto a sheet by the spoonful, or roll it out and cut it into circles, but I like to shape it into a 10 by 5 rectangle, then cut it into 8 - 10 pieces, depending on how big I want the finished product.

Put them on a greased cookie sheet, or line it with parchment paper. Make sure whatever cookie sheet you use has a rim around it, because the large chunks of butter are going to melt, and if it spills over into your oven your house will fill with smoke, then you will have to eat outside. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes for smaller biscuits, or 11 - 13 for larger biscuits. You can brush the finished product with melted butter, but they hardly need it. They have 1 1/2 sticks of butter in them already people, adding more butter is redundant.

If you wanna change things up a little bit, add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes. Yummy!

I snuck a bite. Mmmm.
We topped these with some sausage gravy that I whipped up, but they're also good with a little egg or what-not on them, as a breakfast sandwich. Or just eat them as leftovers the next day. I do.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails