Sunday, October 10, 2010

Under-appreciated

Sometimes I can be a bit of a complainer. I know, its hard to believe. Me, of all people. I'm constantly whining these days about being unappreciated.

No one else ever does the dishes. Why do I always have to do this? I just sat down and now you say you want a pickle! You know, your clothes don't just magically appear in the dresser, clean and folded. There is no such thing as a laundry fairy, someone has to take time out of their day to match your socks. Can't anyone else ever wash the car? I just vacuumed!

My list of complaints is long and household chore based. Its the plight of a stay-at-home mom. I do all the chores, no one says thanks. David has occasionally used the weak excuse of I go to work. What does he think I do here all day? I don't watch TV, all my time is spent working. And when I had a full-time job, guess who did all the housework? If you guessed me, you win! Your price is a virtual pat on the back.

Even with all of my complaining, I'm still gonna do the cooking and cleaning. Its what I do. Someone has to clean the house and cook the meals. I don't do convenience food and we rarely eat out. My house needs to be cleaned because well, its gross otherwise.

I find myself complaining about being under-appreciated. But when I step back and think about it, do I appreciate everything that everyone does for me?

Last night I was the middle of a mommy-sandwich. It was quite warm and snuggly. As I layed there sandwiched between my two dark-haired ladies, I started to wonder if I really appreciate them.

Do I appreciate the kisses and hugs? Do I appreciate that right now Ava wants me to read to her, but someday she will be able to read for herself, so I should treasure the way she is right now. Do I appreciate Alana saying I love you Mommy! at least twenty times a day? Do I appreciate their big brown eyes and ridiculously long eyelashes, looking at me all day long? I'm not sure I do.

Someday they'll grow up and go to school, and I'll be left alone to really accomplish things, like I claim to want to do now. With all the time I have to accomplish things, I will be missing out on other stuff I take for granted right now. Kisses and hugs, reading books and watching cartoons, Ava wanting me to hold her all day long, hearing Alana's sweet little voice say Mommy, you want to play with me? Actually Alana, I think I do.

For now I guess I'll try to be less concerned with how much I'm appreciated, and try to appreciate everyone else a little more. Then when they're older, they can do the housework. Problem solved.

1 comment:

we hate you. love, us said...

I love how you said "I find myself complaining about being under-appreciated. But when I step back and think about it, do I appreciate everything that everyone does for me?"

I think that ALL THE TIME. I find myself saying "arg, no one pays attention to all I do!!!" and I have to try and remember to step back and see if I pay attention. Or not even pay attention, but look for the little ways that people appreciate me.

Great post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails