Friday, April 30, 2010

Wake-up call

As a parent some things are just instinct. My best current example is a finely tuned ear for certain noises. Mostly, middle of the night puking.

As soon as you hear that first dry heave you are wide awake.
As a parent who lets my kids sleep in my bed I am even more finely tuned to these noises. No one wants to be startled awake by being thrown up on.

Last night at about 11:30ish I heard a suspicious heaving. I reached over and turned on the bedside lamp. When I looked over David was sitting up too and we were both looking at Alana. She was just coughing. Not puking yet.

So I turned the light back off.

Not 30 seconds later I heard more puke noise. This time when I turned the light on Alana was throwing up.

Last time she was sick in the middle of the night David had her walk from the bed to the bathroom mid-puke.

This resulted in a trail of puke 20 feet long.

So she stayed where she was till she finished puking.

Then I asked David to get a towel to wipe off her face and hands. He brought a brand new Toy Story Disneyland towel we just bought. When I was paying $17.95 for that towel I didn't imagine using it to wipe up puke.

After the first puking of the night we moved Alana to a blanket on the living room floor with her princess pillow.

After throwing up she was thirsty. We let her have a small sip of water but she tried to chug it. Anyone who has ever thrown up water knows chugging it right after you throw up is a bad idea. No matter how thirsty you are you have to resist.

So she threw up two more times. Just water.

After laying on the floor with me for a while and drifting in and out of sleep she decided she wanted to go back to bed. The rest of the night was uneventful.

This morning she said she felt better but all she's had so far is water. I don't think she feels that great because she turned down Lucky Charms.

Now she's asleep. And Ava's asleep. So its just me and Jayden, left up to watch Cloudy Meatballs. Maybe I'll share my candy bar with him. Since he's the only one up to keep me company.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails